Re: For text processing, which is more powerful, emacs or perl?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: For text processing, which is more powerful, emacs or perl?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 04:07:19 +0100

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> The performance penalty is the largest bottleneck of Python
> code. It can be seen from the following minimal example:

Yes, Perl is faster in execution than Python but it is often
not about speed anymore as Python is fast enough, so rather
the speed/cost of learning, development and maintenance, and
the availability of up-to-date packs, are perhaps (I'm not
sure) areas were it is either a close fight or Python even
excels...

I've written an IRC bot in Python [1] and, knowing nothing
about Python, I understood and could write it
almost instantly. So development is fast in Python, even to
a total beginner.

I also did some irssi scripts in Perl [2] - this was before
I switched to ERC as my IRC client [3] - but I have no
memories from that because it was so long ago. So maybe
development is fast in Perl as well :)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#bot
[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/irssi/scripts/
[3] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc-my.el