Sv: Install orgmode using its git repository.

From: arthur miller
Subject: Sv: Install orgmode using its git repository.
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 08:08:07 +0000

I don't think it is very safe practice to install random Joe's code directly
from
some git repo. We have not yet seen malicious code (not what I know) in
Emacs community, but Emacs in that respect is as bad as MS Office from
time when VBA scripts (and viruses) were shared wildly around, or a web
browserwith JS that can do anything. Remember time when JS was off by default
in all browsers?  Elisp can do whatever on your computer, so you should be
careful what you install. Installing from random git repos can open you for
more security problems then needed. I do clone lots from gitlab/github, but
I always look at the code myself before I ever run it.

Another point is that installing from git and different branches as it is
possible
with straight.el  or quelpa (is what OP actually wants)  can eventually lead to
incompatibility between code that might be much harder to detect. I personally
don't want to  bother with latest-latest of all latest because eventually it
could
become a spagheti code of possible incompatibility and clashes.