Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 08:10:26 +0000

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 11 2021, Robert Thorpe wrote:
>> Here are my opinions on these things.
>>
>> * Moratorium on New Emacs Keybindings.
>>
>> At present there's lot of work going on outside of core Emacs.  I think
>> it makes sense for core Emacs not to use too many keybindings.  I can
>> see the sense the argument Drew Adams makes.
>
> Since it's really easy in Emacs to (re)bind keys, I don't really see this as
> much of a problem. (Mind you, I'm firmly of the conviction that external
> packages should *not* create any global bindings.)
>
>> If a *general* moratorium isn't possible, then how about a more specific
>> one?  How about applying it only to certain keymaps or prefix keys.
>
> Which would be equivalent to reserving more keys for users to bind, right?

On this issue I agree with Gregory Heytings.

I think that user-friendliness is beneficial.  It would help with
that if packages could bind some keys by default.

Yes, it makes it more complex for those of us who don't want that.  But
we've learned how to use Emacs and we know how to fix it.

BR,
Robert Thorpe