Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 09:33:15 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

> It was advertised mostly on Reddit page. That page does not
> even advertise official Emacs website. Sadly. I consider it
> biased and specific to specific groups of users, mostly
> on Reddit.

Well, bring 7344 people to the table, I don't care how biased
it is... [1]

>> Indeed, I think the terminal multiplexers and in particular
>> tmux has removed the need for C-z/fg. It is better as well,
>> since you don't let go of Emacs.
>
> Concurrent running of a processes in the same time is not
> related to suspending a job or unsuspending it, or running
> the job in the background of single shell.
>
> tmux, screen or nohup are not related to shell job control.
> They run processes and continue running them even if user
> logs off. That feature is not related to job control of
> a process, but it can be helpful to keep the suspended job
> in a shell even if user logs off.

Of course a terminal multiplexer (read tmux) it is not the
same as job control. It is better, that's why it has
superseded the C-z/fg practice.

To experience one immediate advantage - literally immediate -
compare opening a new tmux pane to doing C-z. With tmux, you
still have interactive control over Emacs, or whatever other
of a dozen or so applications and interfaces you might have
open, visible at the same time, with tmux panes all over
a huge monitor. Including, if you wish, a dedicated pane, just
to do job control! Compare this to suspending Emacs and then
'fg' it back and forth.

You also mention the 'persistent IRC' stunt that can be done
with tmux:

  tmux attach [-t X]
  tmux kill-session -t X
  tmux list-sessions
  tmux new -s X-s 'tmux set remain-on-exit on; X'

and, I'm sure, the tmux expert can think of many more.

There is even a book on tmux:

@book{tmux,
  author     = {Brian P Hogan},
  isbn       = {978-1-93435-696-8},
  publisher  = {Brian P Hogan},
  title      = {tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development},
  year       = {2012}
}

Also, you seem to say this is such a fundamental practice,
however with zsh, it isn't even enabled by default. (IME
people seem to use bash, zsh, and - the OpenBSD people - ksh
(which is actually rksh, for legal reasons). FTR it _is_
enabled by default on bash and ksh.)

So it isn't even enabled by default on one of the most
commonly used shells.

tmux should be many magnitudes more powerful for several
reasons, in this aspect and others. Use it and get into the
game :)

[1] https://emacssurvey.org/2020/

--
underground experts united