Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 19:01:56 +0000

[Re-attaching this to another thread.]

Freeing 'C-z' up, for example, won't help most authors anyway.

Why not?  Could you perhaps elaborate?

I have some doubts that we'll be able to free up nice enough key bindings that third-party packages will all want to use.

What would be, for you, a nice enough key binding?

And even if that happens, collisions between externally maintained packages can happen just as well. There is no foolproof solution.

That's unavoidable, but still much better for newcomers than the current situation. And there are ways to handle such collisions, which should be rare if the number of available keys is large enough, in a user-friendly way.