Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: ken
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 07:38:33 -0500

On 02/12/2021 04:05 PM, Howard Melman wrote:
I was proposing to leave the binding of C-z in terminal
emacs to be a suspend function and just change it in the GUI.

This would break a lot of things unnecessarily. For one, any code a user has written which functions fine in his/her gui would fail if one day it was used in emacs invoked in a terminal.

... also if someone wanted to test emacs code outside any possible effect of the window manager. How would that be done?

... people would also need to write separate or additional code for functions running in a gui or in a terminal.

And there would certainly arise instances where people on this list would be trying to help a user with a problem which would be confounded by whether the user was in a terminal or in a gui.

There are times when I simply want to suspend (minimize) an emacs frame in the gui and so use C-z to do that. I can't believe I'm the only emacs human doing that.

One of the many wonderful things about emacs is that it's platform independent. Let's not sacrifice that.