Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Luca Ferrari
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 09:19:25 +0100

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:54 PM Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Right there in the FAQ.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions

Apparently I'm too dumb to set the dumb terminal:
% ssh luca@miguel 'tail -n 1 .zshrc'
[[ $TERM == "dumb" ]] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ ' && return

While I confirm I have zsh on the remote host, with the adam prompt
that uses colors, I've also tried to change the shell to bash without
any fancy prompt and nothing has changed.
As well as wth the dumb terminal Emacs still freezes.
And again, I've tried another user on the remote side that has a sh,
so no fancy prompts at all!

I'm able to connect with the tramp ssh command:

% ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
Last login: Tue Feb 23 08:58:09 2021 from n261732
luca@miguel ~ %

I've also tried to unset PS2 and PS3 when using dumb terminal, without
any succcess:
% ssh luca@miguel 'tail -n 1 .zshrc'
[[ $TERM == "dumb" ]] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ ' && unset PS2 &&
unset PS3 && return

Then I tried to ssh to localhost, I mean I logged into the remote
host, started emacs locally, and C-x C-x /ssh:luca@localhost: and it
worked, therefore it does not seem a problem with the zsh prompt,
rather a problem with tramp on my local machine.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca