Re: [External] : display-buffer-alist actions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : display-buffer-alist actions
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:26:36 -0500

> My complaint is that we don't also provide some simple to use
> constructs for simple use cases.

Patches welcome in this respect.

> But I do appreciate that it's still supported.  I hope it will
> continue to be so.  And I still have hopes that the deprecation will
> be lifted from it someday.  Users are in general unaware of it now (it
> was removed from the manual etc.), even though it's very good for the
> simple use cases it handles.

I don't think keeping those vars around is the right solution (because
those special-display* vars make the overall system more complex).
Better would be to provide new ways to do the same, which are just as
easy&simple but which rely on `display-buffer-alist`.

        Stefan