How to debug memory leaks

From: edgar
Subject: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 18:17:10 +0000

Hello,

I have noticed that my Emacs setup keeps using all my RAM, and it then goes for my swap memory. I think that it is leaking memory.

My use of Emacs at the moment is to work with a C++ finite element library (libMesh), and I am using Org to create literate programming. I am currently not doing any LaTeX (or otherwise fancy) exporting, but Org-ref does get loaded, among others and I also do unicode text exporting to make sure that some things would be included (#+include: my_file::block_name src cpp). I work with Makefiles and use the compile command from Emacs, as much as shell-command if needed. I am also trying to use helm-gtags. There is company running as well.

I noticed that when the 17.9 MB TAGS file (Global gtags) is read, the memory use jumps a lot and keeps increasing. It seems that font leaking is a common issue as well. For both reasons, I already deactivated moe-theme and projectile, and I keep doing garbage-collect constantly, all of which seems to have helped. However, the problem subsists.

I tried to follow what seemed to be the most instructive way of debugging this http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2015/10/05_memory-leak-debugging-tools.html). However, I get errors unbeknownst to me. Namely:

    The /usr/lib/libc-2.33.so file has no debug information.
Rebuild with -g, or install an appropriate debuginfo package.
  Error: Failed to add events.

Error: File /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/probe_libc/free not found. Hint: Perhaps this kernel misses some CONFIG_ setting to enable this feature?.

It is clear that I would have to recompile my kernel with debugging symbols, but that seems too much.

I attach a file with info on my Linux, Emacs version and the packages that I use. I hope that someone can help me to find and correct the memory leak, or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!