Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:39:46 -0300

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-04-21 22:44]:
>> where 90% is about right for me, but this has the side-effect that the
>> initial-frame is not full-height any longer, that is, this undoes the
>> order given by -fh on the command line.
>
> Also to mention, I am using GNU/Linux and can direct Emacs frame size
> and position by using my window manager.

That's what I wish Windows could do for me.  How I miss WindowMaker.
The closest thing I've found is the program ``Window Manager''

  http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

It works, but it's a bit ugly --- you can see the window moving because
it is not able to keep the GNU Emacs initial frame hidden while it moves
it, so the end result is flickering.  But it's helping for sure.

FWIW, I think that what ``Window Manager'' should be doing is somehow
tapping into the lower level of the Windows window manager and
positioning and moving the desired windows before they show up on the
screen.  I'd think that Windows allows for such things.  If knew how to
do it, maybe I would because I don't see anybody providing such
solution.  ``Window Manager'' is the closest thing I've found.

> For example I do not use window borders on Emacs or XTerm, and I can
> say what size it will be.

That's smart.  How I wish I had such control on Windows land.

[...]

> With bigger screen I always like to open up specific programs at
> specific place of the screen.

My screen is small and I like that anyway, but, yes, with a larger
screen that becomes even more vital.