Re: Does defvar-local has same effect as make-variable-buffer-local?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does defvar-local has same effect as make-variable-buffer-local?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:53:18 -0400

> This leaves us with the question “why didn’t the author of
> defvar-local immediately convert all code to use it”, to which a
> possible answer is “because he wasn’t sure it makes a big difference”.

I can't speak for the author of `defvar-local`, who must have been
a pretty confused individual, but there's generally a reluctance to make
such cosmetic changes in code unless we're also changing something more
substantial in that same code at the same time (the reason being to
avoid spurious merge conflicts for people managing branches).

        Stefan