Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:28:04 +0200

> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 at 9:26 AM
> From: "Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.
>
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Thank you for pointing that out.
> >
> > We don't support in GNU project proprietary software, such
> > discussions should be made in other places.
> >
> > It is also questionable from licensing view point, both from
> > the proprietary software vendor and from free
> > software viewpoint.
> >
> > GPL3+ license does not allow making publicly distributed
> > software that requires Emacs and also requires proprietary
> > software. It does not go, as it cannot be properly GPL3+
> > licensed as whole.
> >
> > Unless if it would be written by the author of proprietary
> > software part, as in that case GPL3+ license would allow to
> > disregard any proprietary prohibitions (provided there is
> > source).
> >
> > When any Emacs package is made, then the package has to be
> > with GPL3+ compatible software license because it requires
> > Emacs which is GPL3+ licensed.

That is a frequent misconception, if some code requires emacs, it does not mean
that the license has to be GPL3+ compatible.  The license could be proprietary,
open source, etc.

The problem is not about the support of a programming language.  When emacs
supports
a language such as C, it would also support proprietary implementations of the
language.
I see no problem with that.  But currently, there is no free software
alternative
to Wolfram Mathematica that benefits users.