Re: Unicode fonts - Re: Why do I find ^L in elisp code?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Unicode fonts - Re: Why do I find ^L in elisp code?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:24:54 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-05-24 17:08]:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 15:52, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > Social media is full of ◦•●♡ £åñ¢¥ Lꆆêr§ ♡●•◦ beyond the built-in
> > features.
> >
> > There is no need to constrain people in using Unicode symbols
> > regardless for what they are meant. People may like symbols regardless
> > of their meanings or political or scientific purposes.
>
> No, but we can feel morally justified to say they do it wrong by
> making their posts less accessible for users (1) without font coverage
> for those blocks; (2) of less capable displays such as out-of-the-box
> Linux console; (3) of Braille displays; (4) of screen readers.

In social media, it their individual expression and creators need not
think how other people will perceive it, or not be able to perceive
it. Computer program that read text should be programmed not
robotically, rather humanely and know how to interpret such characters
not in a robotical way, but in human kind of a way.

These letters like 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐛𝐨𝐥𝐝 should be supported by every
English screen reader, regardless, as those are letters of English
alphabet. But English class of a screen reader would not support
plethora of other alphabets for the rest of the world as they are not
same chars as English chars, let us just mention Cyrillic here.

So it is really up to screen reader to support it, not to the user to
conform oneself to limitations of other people's software.

A screen reader that does not understand some characters is lacking
features. Character like ⌣ should be supported as "smile" by screen
reader as it is what it really represents, then there is plethora of
other Unicode characters even more suitable for screen readers and
Braille displays then what letters are.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns