Re: Why is defun not executed during load-file?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why is defun not executed during load-file?
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 18:36:33 +0300

* Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-30 16:32]:
> Jean Louis [2021-05-30 12:02:25] wrote:
> > I have this in the hyperscope.el and upon load-file the last function
> > is not executed, it does not generate the functions. But if I evaluate
> > it specifically, it generates functions.
> >
> > Is there any reason for that?
> >
> > (defun hyperscope-generate-the-add-function-by-hyperdocument-type
> > (type-name id function-name)
> >   (eval `(defun ,(intern (symbol-name function-name)) ()
>
> My crystal ball says it's punishment for using `eval` and recommends
> using macro(s) instead.  I wouldn't trust its judgment, but the
> recommendation sounds useful anyway.
>
> BTW, `intern + symbol-name` ends up a no-op if `function-name` is
> already an interned symbol.

I just did not find a way to make it working. Now I have put more care
and I got this to work:

(defmacro hyperscope-generate-the-add-function-by-hyperdocument-type (type-name
id function-name)
  (list 'defun function-name '()
        (format "Add new `%s' hyperdocument to Hyperscope." type-name)
        '(interactive)
        '(let* ((parent (hyperscope-select-set))
                (prompt ,(format "New `%s' hyperdocument name: " type-name))
                (name (read-from-minibuffer prompt)))
           (hlink-add-generic name "" ,id parent nil))))

(defun hyperscope-generate-add-functions-by-hyperdocument-types ()
  (let ((types (hyperscope-hyperdocument-types)))
    (while types
      (let* ((type (pop types))
             (id (nth 0 type))
             (type (nth 1 type))
             (type-name type)
             (type (downcase (string-replace " " "-" type)))
             (function-name (format "hyperscope-add-new-%s-hyperdocument"
type)))
        (insert "\n" type-name " " id " " function-name)
        (hyperscope-generate-the-add-function-by-hyperdocument-type type-name
id function-name)))))

(hyperscope-generate-add-functions-by-hyperdocument-types)

Now, this does not use `eval' and generates functions when I evaluate
it.

But again it will not generate functions when I load the file.

Is that supposed to be so?

This is smallest example:

(defmacro my-generate-function (name)
  (list 'defun (intern name) '()
        "My function"
        '(interactive)
        '(message "hello")))

(my-generate-function "my-hello3")

and that example works well, it does generate function `my-hello3' but
my above doesn't.

On the other hand I have observed if I do just one time:

(fmakunbound 'hyperscope-add-new-markdown-hyperdocument)

then this function will never be generated again in the same
instance. I have to run another instance to be able to generate that
function.

Do you know why is that?

--
Jean