Re: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: [External] : Supplying DOC string in a `defun' using `defvar'
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 04:23:44 -0300

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 at 03:52, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> And I have a package as RCD Template Interpolation System for Emacs
> https://hyperscope.link/3/7/1/3/3/RCD-Template-Interpolation-System-for-Emacs.html
>
> that is separate package because I keep it dynamically not lexically,
> with intention. It is used in business to personalize emails and
> communication, like yesterday 756 times. There is no lexical bindings
> involved and currently I don't know how would I implement it with
> lexical bindings involved. I hope dynamic bindings will never go.

Me too.

I use - zillions of times a day - a template function that is
intrinsically incompatible with lexical binding - this one:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-template0.el.html

and I believe that dynamic binding is much easier to understand and to
explain than lexical binding... also, I interact with beginners a lot,
and currently what I say to them is: "learn dynamic binding first,
even though it is being sort of deprecated, and don't try to use
lexical binding until you have at least one week of experience with
Emacs Lisp... after that you'll be able to compare the two and lexical
binding will make much more sense".

I really hope that people realize the dynamic binding is great as an
educational tool, and that they will keep it available forever, with
all the adequate warnings and caveats - "for the sake of the
secretaries"... see:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html#SEC29

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs