Re: Emacs 26.3 strange ESS init error regarding Projectile and project r

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.3 strange ESS init error regarding Projectile and project root.
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 10:16:22 +0000

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> I have both ESS and projectile installed and I have projectile mode on by
> default.
>
> From my init.el file:
>
> ;; Load projectile
> (use-package projectile
>   :ensure t
>   :config
>   (define-key projectile-mode-map (kbd "C-x p") 'projectile-command-map)
>   (projectile-mode +1))
>
> Recently (as of about 1 day ago), emacs has been giving me this error
> when call (require 'ess-site) in my ESS-init.el file, or whenever I try to
> open an interactive R session via M-x R
>
> "project-root is already defined as something else than a generic function."

project-root should be unrelated to projectile, what is going on is that
somehow a regular function is being defined, that is generating a
conflict with project-root, the generic function.

I had an issue similar to this just yesterday, and while I did not quite
understand what caused it, it seems that reinstalling the packages
and/or forcing the bytecode to regenerate fixed it.

So try M-x package-reinstall ess M-x package-reinstall project

--
        Philip K.