Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:59:23 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-06-08 02:47]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > - The HTML and eww Hypertext is not an option for me, that
> >   could be only good for reporting, but not for dynamically
> >   bound list of functions to specific hyperlinks; One same
> >   link on my side can provide different target depending of
> >   the key or function invoked.
>
> The web has been the king for decades, as for dynamic web
> there are tons of mature, established technologies, e.g.
> PHP (personal home page), Ajax, CGI (Central Gateway
> interface, for example C and MySQL) for old-schoolers,
> JavaScript

Those are not related to Emacs, don't run in Emacs, but Emacs could
provide some of them like CGI. WWW technologies cannot do with
hypertext what works with Emacs.

For example a hyperlink in Emacs can have many of its attributes,
there is GNU Hyperbole, there is `eev' and Org and other systems. A
web browser cannot execute external programs on the system, Emacs
can. So I am researching and looking for  Emacs based hypertext system
solution little different then what I do with tabulated-list-mode

> you can do whatever with the web, except for Gopher maybe. Don't
> pick some arcane markup which no one else uses, use whatever
> everyone else is using only use it better, otherwise you'll become a
> desert-penguin pretty fast... try the Tamagotchi for emotional
> support.

There is slight misunderstanding, as "hypertext" is not equal to HTML
although HTML is hypertext. With WWW I cannot do what I can do with
Emacs or other programming language. There were Hypertext systems
before the HTML so much more powerful. I gave you the reference.

In HTML system, all what I can do is create a text with hyperlinks and
some programming. It is read-only, not dynamic. Remote user canot
change it (they can but not with built-in tools). Hyperlinks are
unidirectional. I need inherently bidirectional hyperlinks. So, HTML
and WWW is not what I mean, though some output can be done for WWW.

Let us say there is WWW Hyperlink to https://www.example.com stored in
the Dynamic Knowledge Repository. I can now send it to Joe, and
information about sending it to Joe, becomes a new hyperlink related
to https://www.example.com -- I can jump from https://www.example.com
to information that Joe received it by email, I can jump to Joe, from
Joe, I can jump to information about https://www.example.com. But WWW
is not the only hyperlink there, a hyperlink is reference to any piece
of information to which one can arrive from other piece of
information.

Other example, Org text is piece of information, by inspecting
information about Joe, one could find 7 different Org texts to which
one can jump, then from those Org texts one could jump to WWW location
of the Org output (if such exists) or one could jump to PDF output
generated (if such exists) and one can see that PDF was sent by email
to Jane, David, and jump to David, and back to Joe.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman