Re: Using pdf-tools

From: pillule
Subject: Re: Using pdf-tools
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:41:12 +0200

Hi Julius,

Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed that in my home directory I have a .emacs.d file. Some
> documentation said people usually have a .emacs file but sometimes also a .
> emacs.el file or a .emacs.d/init.el file, as an init file.

There are effectively many options possibles, as described by the section 49.4
of the manual, The Emacs Initialization File.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html

> I was wondering, what are the reasons for having these different kinds of
> init files?

Because peoples may have asked a cleaner file system (less dotfiles in their
home directory) but emacs keeps older solutions for backward compatibility.

> I added "(pdf-tools-install)" at the end of my init.el file, and restarted
> emacs. I tried a command from the pdf-tools docs, "M-x pdf-tools-help RET",
> which the system did not recognize.

You surely also need to require this library before being able to use it.

(require 'pdf-tools)

> I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand and explain to me why this
> is and what a good next step would be. Should I set up my emacs with a
> emacs.el init file instead?

This is only an organization matter for your home directory, choose what you
like.