Re: Refer to the directory of the currently being loaded elisp script fr

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Refer to the directory of the currently being loaded elisp script from within the Emacs lisp file itself.
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:47:04 +0800

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:15 AM Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> >> load-file-name is defined while the file is being loaded, after that it
> >> is nil. So if you tried with `C-x C-e' or some other interactive command
> >> it wont work.
> >>
> >> Once the code above is in the correct file, save it, start Emacs and
> >> report back what happens.
> >
> > See my current usage on
> > <https://github.com/hongyi-zhao/screen2latex.el/blob/bd820184a29158c14de1afaf564f9e2898dd88ac/screen2latex.el#L45>
> > according to the instructions here.
> >
> > After I start Emacs and tried with `M-x screenlatex RET', I will see
> > the following info in *Messages* buffer:
> >
> > expand-file-name: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> As explained previously, load-file-name is only defined when the file is
> being loaded, otherwise it is nil.
>
> You can put the directory name on a variable at load time and use that
> variable on your command:
>
> (setq my-directory (file-name-directory load-file-name)

It really does the trick. Thank you for pointing this out. BTW, It should be:

 (setq my-directory (file-name-directory load-file-name))

What about the following according to the tutorial at
<http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/elisp_relative_path.html>?:

(setq my-directory (file-name-directory (or load-file-name buffer-file-name)))

> (defun screen2latex ()
>   (load-file (expand-file-name "auth.el.gpg" my-directory))

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China