Re: Wdired doesn't like re-search-forward

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Wdired doesn't like re-search-forward
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 00:43:27 +0200

Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> writes:

>   (No changes to be performed)
>
> Is this related to the recent (?) changes in wdired?

Could be.

> I noticed that now letters are bound to `wdired--self-insert' instead
> of `self-insert-command' in wdired mode... is there something that I
> need to do to make wdired recognize changes that were not done by
> `wdired--self-insert'?

No (this is implemented using `before-change-functions' and
`after-change-functions' and should automatically recognize any kind of
modifications).

But here a quick test using a

 (while (re-search-forward ...) replace-match ...)

loop didn't reveal the problem for me.

> And, more important of all: should I prepare a minimal way to
> reproduce the problem and submit a proper bug report?

If the problem is not caused by your setup (can you reproduce the
problem in emacs -Q; do you use a recent build?) -- yes of course,
please do that.

Regards,

Michael.