Re: dlet (need help): let: Symbol’s value as variable is void: wrs::vari

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: dlet (need help): let: Symbol’s value as variable is void: wrs::variables
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:28:47 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2021-09-21 02:18]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I just know that this code worked, and now it doesn't:
> >
> > (dlet ((wrs::variables (make-hash-table :test 'equal))
> >        (wrs::_ (puthash "areas_name" "Hyperscope" wrs::variables)))
> >   )
> > [...]
> > No need to disadvise me using `dlet' as I do need it. Does anybody
> > know if this could be bug or why it does not work?
>
> I think this should be due to this:
>
> | b72f88518b Make dlet work like let, not let*
> | Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org> Sun Aug 1 17:05:48 2021 +0200
> |
> | Change `dlet` so that it has binding semantics like `let` because that
> | is what a user would expect and it allows a corresponding `dlet*` to
> | be added later should the need arise.  Fortunately the change has no
> | effect where it is currently used.
>
> There was a discussion about that before the change, should not be hard
> to find if you are interested in the reasons.
>
> AFAIR there were was not much interest in adding `dlet*'.

I have dynamic binding script `rcd-template-eval'

RCD Template Interpolation System for Emacs
https://hyperscope.link/3/7/1/3/3/RCD-Template-Interpolation-System-for-Emacs.html

If I call `rcd-template-eval' from dynamic binding script, I guess
that works well.

If I call it from lexical bound script but don't use the hash to pass
it to `rcd-template-eval' that also works.

If I wish to pass a hash to function `rcd-template-eval' from lexical
bound script, that does not work without `dlet' and that is now broken
as `dlet' behaves not any more similar to `let*'

I have only 4120 WWW pages currently depending on `dlet', that is
interest large enough for function to exist.

If there is other solution that would work, I am glad to accept
it, except that I cannot and do not want to change dynamically bound
script to lexical for reasons previously explained.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman