Re: memory leaks

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: memory leaks
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 08:20:07 -0000

* Madhu <m35z8gise6.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net> :
Wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:36:57 +0530:
> The numbers I reported by garbage-collect do not account for the memory
> usage. FWIW I've posted that info again at
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43395
>
> In 2019 i suspected the culprit was the fonts system.  It doesn't seem
> to be toolkit related. I don't use emacs as an imageviewer (but I have
> to check that). Since the interest in CONFIG_PSI there are a number of
> tools on github that monitor memory - it should be possible to come up
> with some tool that alerts emacs of memory surges while keeping some
> history.

I found test case for this bug and I sent mail to 43395@debbugs.gnu.org,
and qmail told me that the mail was accepted:
delivery 1: success:
209.51.188.43_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_OK_id=1kc8Bf-00061T-3u/
But the bugreport didn't show up on gnu.emacs.bug.

Here is the test case:

#+BEGIN_SRC
$ cat > f.c
#include <stdio.h>
int
main()
{
  char c = ' ';
  while (c != 'q' && c != 'Q')
    {
      fprintf(stdout, "Press q then enter to quit: ");
      c = fgetc(stdin);
    }
  return 0;
}
^D

$ gcc f.c
$ emacs -Q
#+END_SRC

M-x shell-command ./a.out

Then the process hangs. But Emacs' memory grows unbounded.

WARNING. Be careful to interrupt it with ^G before the OOM killer
kicks in.  If you have swap you may lose control of your machine
indefinitely.

After you interrupt the sub process, Emacs is left with unreclaimed
gigabytes of RSS

Please let me know if you can reproduce this