Re: Is there a way of setting a variable only when it exists?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is there a way of setting a variable only when it exists?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:35:12 +0100

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> If that happens, compiling your init.el will then normally
>> give you an "assignment to free variable" warning, no?
>
> I didn't think about it. OTOH, why would I compile my
> init.el?

To get .elc which is better, faster byte-code as well as the
other advantages of code-improvement that the byte-compiler's
messages leads to if you take proper action ...

This has been mentioned many times over the years here not the
least ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal