Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?

From: hw
Subject: Re: how to force auto-save of buffers not visiting files, right now?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 04:55:22 +0100

On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 11:30 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 11:19:52AM +0100, hw wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 08:29 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 07:36:42AM +0100, hw wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> > Yes --- I didn't see that because that expression is so unreadable.
>
> To some it is readable, to some not. It takes some practice.

I'm sure there are 5 people for whom it's easily readable.  For others,
it would be helpful if the description would explain what the default
is supposed to match and if it would have same useful examples.

> > Forcing remote auto-save files into being saved into a volatile
> > directory is worse than not saving them at all.
>
> Are you always so absolute in your assessments?

I am always am what I am.

> > How do I change that /tmp to not being volatile and keep it that way?
>
> Look into the files in /etc/init.d (or, if you are a systemd person,
> ask around in your distribution's mailing list: I know very little
> about systemd). Typically, there's code there to wipe /tmp clean
> on boot. Then, you'll have to make sure /tmp is not mounted from
> tmpfs (as is customary these days) but from a regular directory.
>
> > > Careful. You can change that, too, if you want. Someone thought
> > > it to be useful.
> >
> > Like how?
>
> See above. Try
>
>   find /etc/init.d -type f -exec egrep "\<tmp\>" {} +
>
> or ask around if you're on systemd (i guess it'll have one unit
> to mount tmpfs on /tmp, perhaps another to clean up /tmp --
> unless they rely on always using tmpfs, where the latter would
> be unnecessary. But don't believe me on things systemd. Actually
> I've no clue :)

See, that's one problem, and there are others, like keeping things
changed the way you changed them.  Who says that when you make /tmp
persistent, that the change will persist over the next software or
distribution update or upgrade?  When you start changing things like
that, there are likely to be more and more things over time and it
will be difficult or impossible to maintain that.

So don't say "you can change it".  You can't, really.

> > > I'm around for long enough that I remember the
> > > time before [...]
>
> > Some things, like making /tmp volatile, are still stupid.
>
> OK, I think I'll stop here. We are off-topic anyway.

Hm, quite a bit, yes.