Re: Emacs freezes when editing a file with one extremely long line even

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs freezes when editing a file with one extremely long line even with so-long-minor-mode enabled.
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 08:53:14 +0300

> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:38:08 +0800
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 1:32 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Did you try setting line-move-visual to nil, in addition to the other
> > measures?
> >

> Tried the following, but doesn't work:
>
> `M-: (setq line-move-visual nil) RET'
> `M-x so-long-mode RET'

That's not what I suggested.  I suggested this:

  C-x C-f symbols.ts RET
  M-x so-long-minor-mode RET
  M-x toggle-truncate-lines RET
  M-x set-variable RET line-move-visual RET nil RET

And please provide more quantitative description of the effect of the
above settings on Emacs responsiveness.  "Doesn't work" has very low
informational value.  Do you see any effect on cursor motion? does it
get faster? a little bit faster? not faster at all? slower? something
else?

If the above settings don't help to make Emacs even a bit faster,
please describe what exactly are you doing to get Emacs to freeze: are
you moving in that file (and if so, with which commands or keys), are
you editing the file (and if so, with which commands), are you doing
something else?  Because I cannot understand how it is possible that
the above settings have no effect whatsoever on the Emacs
responsiveness, and your responses until now were not detailed enough
to figure that out.