Re: Interactive function displaying face attributes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive function displaying face attributes
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 21:59:11 +0300

> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:53:32 +0200 (CEST)
> From: carlmarcos@tutanota.com
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Aug 9, 2022, 18:33 by eliz@gnu.org:
>
> >> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:24:21 +0200 (CEST)
> >> From: carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> >> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> >>

> >> I am writing this function to display face attributes.  The function works
> >> interactively accepting a string from the user obtained from
> >> `completing-read'.
> >>

> > What is that string?  If it's a face, then we already have
> > describe-face.
> >
> The string is an element in the list passed in completing-read.

And what are the members of that list?  Are they faces?

IOW, do you want a function that displays attributes of a face?  If
so, describe-face is your friend.

> >> For `char-after-point' I want to display the face attribute of the
> >> character after point.
> >>

> > Did you try "M-x describe-text-properties"?
> >
> No, have done `describe-face'

Well, how about trying describe-text-properties?

> >> Having seen that there can be more than one face at point, what can I do?
> >>
> > No, the face at a given buffer position can have only one value.
> >
> If `hl-line-mode' is enabled, would that result in multiple faces at point?

No, there's just one.  But there might be other sources of face
information besides the buffer text itself.  See the node "Displaying
Faces" in the ELisp manual.  (Btw, describe-text-properties will show
the other sources of face information as well.)