Re: Question about customising faces

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Question about customising faces
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 08:44:53 +0200

On Tue, Aug 30 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:07:41 +0200
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 29 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > The call with FRAME nil should have been enough.  And in my testing,
>> > it is: it sets the attributes for both the first and the subsequent
>> > frames.
>>
>> I just tried with emacs -Q, executing only those `set-face-attribute` calls
>> and
>> the problem persists. I need to execute both sets in order to get it to
>> work.
>
> Please show a recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", to reproduce the issue.

I do the following, starting from `emacs -Q`:

- Evaluate the following `set-face-attribute` calls (with FRAME set to nil, no
  use of `unspecified`):

  (set-face-attribute 'isearch nil :background nil :foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'isearch-group-1 nil :background "lightskyblue1"
:foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'isearch-group-2 nil :background "DarkSeaGreen1"
:foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'lazy-highlight  nil :background nil :foreground nil :box
"#d33682")

- Start isearch in any buffer and observe the changed faces.

- Create a new frame with `C-x 5 2`.

- Start isearch again and observe that the faces are a mix of old an new. Most
  notably are the background colors, which I'm trying to set to nil but which
  are present in the newly created frame. The same for the foreground of
  lazy-highlight. The box of lazy-highlight does appear, though.

- Now evaluate the other four calls to `set-face-attribute`:

  (set-face-attribute 'isearch t :background 'unspecified :foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'isearch-group-1 t :background "lightskyblue1"
:foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'isearch-group-2 t :background "DarkSeaGreen1"
:foreground "#d33682")
  (set-face-attribute 'lazy-highlight  t :background 'unspecified :foreground
'unspecified :box "#d33682")

- Create another frame with `C-x 5 2`.

- Start isearch; now the faces in the newly created frame are what I expect them
  to be, i.e., the same as in the initial frame.

Tested on Emacs 28.1.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments