Re: [External] : Re: Closures - do you understand them well?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Closures - do you understand them well?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 17:51:22 -0500

>> IMO `cl-loop` is too complex for its own good.
> Maybe ... "Don't Loop, Iterate"?
> https://iterate.common-lisp.dev/doc/index.html

IMO it's still "too complex for its own good".

> (Dunno what binding it uses in this context.)

`iterate` explicitly defines those vars to use a single binding over the
whole iteration (I suspect the same holds for `loop` as well, actually).
IOW it's very fundamentally "imperative", where iteration variables are
defined to be "uninitialized" at the beginning at are updated by
side-effect during the course of the iteration.
[ I tend to cringe at the idea of uninitialized variables.  ]

        Stefan