python-mode.el vs. ipython

From: Neal Becker
Subject: python-mode.el vs. ipython
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 11:12:27 -0500

I've been using python.el with ipython as subprocess for ages (C-c C-p from
python buffer).  I'm curious about python-mode.el, because it seems to offer
more features (or at least, more features on menus).  But it doesn't seem
that python-mode.el gets along with ipython.  If I try python-mode.el  and
start an ipython interpreter, as soon as I type a few characters into the
interpreter the screen splits and my cursor is moved into some some buffer
/tmp/xyxxx with a bunch of random code (I forgot if it was elisp).
I have
(setq      python-shell-interpreter-args "--simple-prompt -i")

Any ideas?