Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:07:26 +0100

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://www.fsf.org/     https://www.gnu.org

> Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 3:22 AM
> From: "Yuri Khan" <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> To: "Thibaut Verron" <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> Cc: "Heime" <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>, "Stefan Monnier"
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Introducing face in comments for various modes
>
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 17:53, Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > If you use "modus-vivendi" for org-mode, the colours are all almost white,
> > > a big problem particularly when you fold the org headings.
> >
> > I don't like dark backgrounds, but it seems perfectly readable to me.
>
> Heime has a point. The complaint is not about *readability* of
> modus-vivendi’s colors against the background. It is about
> *distinction* between levels of Org headings, i.e. ability to
> distinguish a level 3 heading from a level 4 just by color.
>
> This is a nontrivial thing to solve, by the way. It’s very easy to
> fall in the trap “WCAG level AAA prescribes a contrast ratio of at
> least 7:1; I’ll make my primary foreground and all my accent
> foreground colors exactly 7:1 against the background so all will be
> readable”. Yes, but this way they are all the same luminance, and by
> that token all very similar in some sense. A color-blind person might
> even not be able to distinguish hues and rely on luminance alone to
> tell colors apart.

Correct.  WCAG Level AAA works well for a foreground upon a background colour.
Thusly it is still quite a basic scheme.  When, in addition, one considers
colour contrast requirements upon adjacent coloured letters, the WCAG Levels
are not enough to do this.  One has to optimise colour contrast on both
foreground
with background, as well as contrast upon adjacent colours.

Some work on this showed that you would not be able to completely satisfy WCAG
Levels,
if you want to optimise colour contrast between adjacent letters too.

Still, one can use a metric.  The whole point to understand is that the colours
are not set up at the discretion of the programmer.  You are limited only to
certain
colour tones only.  Doing anything else would always result in a sub-optimal
result.

The original modes-themes, even though they were a huge improvements compared
to other
themes, were found to be sub-optimal.