Re: Problems positioning and sizing Emacs frames

From: Dr Rainer Woitok
Subject: Re: Problems positioning and sizing Emacs frames
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 18:50:08 +0100

Po Lu,

On Tuesday, 2022-12-20 21:48:35 +0800, you wrote:

> Did you set `frame-resize-pixelwise' to t?

I didn't up to now.   However, setting it changed neither size nor posi-
tion of the initial frame,  but it slightly changed the window manager's
geometry information for the frames created via "C-x 5 Cf":  it returned
"1040x950+58+58"  for the first frame  and "1040x950+87+46" for the sec-
ond,  where the "1040x950" part  probably is the  "80x40" window size in
pixels, the difference between 58 and 87 still is 29 pixels to the right
while the difference between 58 and 46 is 12 pixels up,  which might not
have had any effect in my former tests because these frames were already
at "+xxx+0", and thus going farther up was just not possible.

I had set "frame-resize-pixelwise"  in my "init.el" file,  but according
to the documentation this file is only read  AFTER the initial frame has
been created.   Upon further reading  the documentation  I finally found
frame parameter "user-position",  and setting this to "t"  in both vari-
ables,  "default-frame-alist" and "initial-frame-alist"  at least solved
the positioning problems for the frames opened via "C-x 5 C-f".  Uff :-)

Another observation regarding the initial frame:  when I open a new file
in these frames and enter "C-u 90 O",  the gap in the uppermost line be-
tween the rightmost "O"  and the continuation symbol  in the fringe area
is roughly twice as wide in the "79x40" frame  as in the "80x40" frames.
Could this indicate some rounding effect  eventually causing the initial
frame becoming too wide and being cut off?

Sincerely,
  Rainer