Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:02:34 +0200

Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Manual,

> Whenever Emacs creates a non file buffer (for instance with 'M-x man'),
> it sets its default-directory from the one of the buffer you are into.
> Most of the time, I don't think it matters but for remote buffers.
>
> A remote default-directory could go "disconnected" (e.g. lost of ssh
> after moving network, end of credential after a timeout for sudo...)  In
> this case, I use 'tramp-cleanup-all-connections' but this will also
> close any *Man* buffers with this default-directory.
>
> I don't have an idea or solution for this issue (that might not be one!)
> but I'd just like to know how others deal with this.

Perhaps tramp-cleanup-all-connections should close only buffers which
have a remote process or a remote buffer-file-name? Since I don't know
of unexpected side effects, this behavior could be controlled by a user
option?

> Thanks,

Best regards, Michael.