Re: GIT_DIR unset in vc-git.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GIT_DIR unset in vc-git.el
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 16:38:25 -0400

> If I understood the suggestion correctly, this would make every invocation
> of git under my home directory think that it is in a repository. This is not
> my goal, since I rarely work on maintaining my home directory but often on
> other Git repositories residing somewhere in home. With the "linking"
> approach above, I enter recursive edit, work on some configuration files,
> and exit when I am done so that git becomes unaware that home is kept under
> version control.

FWIW, on some of my machines I have my home in Git (in a "plain" way,
i.e. with a normal `.git` subdirectory rather than a bare Git in
something like `.home.git`), and it doesn't get in the way of Git
repositories residing somewhere inside my home directory: Git uses the
"nearest" `.git`.

        Stefan

PS: Admittedly, over the years, I have found it more convenient to have
a separate `config` directory under Git's control, and then add symlinks
from my home dir into that one for those files which I want to have
under Git's control.