[Help-gnu-radius] Problems auth. from MAX4000 w/ gnu-radius-v 0.96

From: R. Krause
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] Problems auth. from MAX4000 w/ gnu-radius-v 0.96
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:51:14 -0500

We have been using an Ascend Max 4000 as a NAS for about 9 months, it
has been sending acctg. info to a gnu-radius server with no problems.

Recently we wanted to add radius authentication to the system.  It
'sort of' works.  Entries in the users file will verify successfully
from the MAX, provided the password is in plain text in the users
file or in plain text in the SQL file. The ultimate plan was to have
an SQL database containing the
passwords in MD5 form.

The system works perfectly from radauth or radsession with either MD5
encrypted passwords or plain text passwords  in the users file, or MD5
encrypted passwords in the SQL file.

I assume the problem is related to the encoding of the password in the
MAX prior to transmission to the radiusd program, but what it is
remains a mystery. The log file shows nothing abnormal other than
"Login incorrect [username]"

A slight complication is that the MAX is in service and we can't risk
a service interuption by experimenting with it very much.  It is
verifying users from its built in data base.

Any help from others who have had this problem would be appreciated. I
think I'm missing some point regarding the transmission between the
MAX and radiusd.  How the MAX knows that the password is stored on the
system in MD5 form is not known by me; if indeed the MAX knows or
cares about this.

Any help that can be offered on this matter will be appreciated.
Roy