Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Ascend DNS attributes?

From: Andrew Kohlsmith
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Ascend DNS attributes?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:05:15 -0500

> >               Vendor-Specific =
> > "Ascend-Client-Primary-DNS=111.111.111.111",
>
> No, this will produce a syntax error. There is no such attribute as

Actually it doesn't seem to.  It doesn't work either though so the point is
moot.  :-)

> "Vendor-Specific" in the dictionary and that's because its format
> is quite different from any other attributes. If you wish to use
> vendor specific attributes, simply include an appropriate dictionary
> file to the main dictionary and use the attributes as if they were
> usual ones.

I already have
$INCLUDE dictionary.ascend
$INCLUDE dictionary.cisco

uncommented in the main raddb/dictionary file.  Without them the attribute
names "Ascend-Client-Primary-DNS" and so on will produce errors since they're
unknown.

> The Ascend boxes actually support two orthogonal sets of attributes:
> the usual attributes (with numbers less than 256), and the vendor
> specific ones. The NAS can be configured to use only one set of
> attributes at a time (I don't remember how this is configured on an
> Ascend box, take a look at the documentation). Now, if your NAS is

I believe it is set up in the EXTERNAL_AUTH profile, in the rad-auth-client
configuration.  The values can be "old-ascend," "vendor-specific," or
"16-bit-vendor-specific."  I have it set currently to "vendor-specific."

The documentation on the parameter seems to suggest I want to keep it at
vendor-specific.  :-)

> configured to use vendor specific attributes, comment out `$INCLUDE
> dict/ascend' statement in your raddb/dictionary and uncomment
> `$INCLUDE dict/ascend.vs'. That's the only change needed.

Hmm ok so it looks like I'm using the wrong set of attributes in this case.
I'll dig around and see what I can find.  Thank you for the assistance.  As
always, I've found you to be extremely responsive and aside from the
stability and flexibility of gnu-radius, this is the reason I am sticking
with it.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew