Re: [Help-gnu-radius] idle timeout questions

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] idle timeout questions
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:04:00 +0300

Hi Hendrik,

> Now we are thinking about the technical
> realization of that issue - what does radius server do to detect a
> timeout, let's say 10 minutes? Is the server collecting traffic
> statistics on the interface(s) and decides depending on those stats
> what to do?

Radius does not collect any data from interfaces. It's only purpose
is to receive requests from network access servers, process them and
answer them back. Once the request is answered, Radius has no way
of further control over the NAS or the session.

Session timeouts are normally controlled by returnint the
Session-Timeout attribute in the answer to Access-Requests. Idle
timeouts are set by returning the Idle-Timeout attribute in the same
response. Additionally, particular NAS vendors may supply their own
vendor attributes to control these.

The GNU Radius Manual will supply a more detailed information on the
subject. It is avialable online in various formats from
http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual.

Regards,
Sergey