help-gnu-utils

Problems Downloading from all mirror sites, such as: ftp://ftp.mpi-sb.mp

From: fkafka271828
Subject: Problems Downloading from all mirror sites, such as: ftp://ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de/pub/gnu/mirror/gcc/gnu.org/pub/gcc/
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:46:55 -0400

Are there any sites other than FTP sites where I can obtain all the cygwin software?

I have been having tremendous problems trying to download folders included in the Cygwin.dll files, et al on the FTP sites, even the mirror sites, and it does not seem to matter which site or mirror site I visit; I keep having the same problem. Could someone be kind enough to answer these four questions please?

1.For the last two days I keep getting error messages, regardless of whether or not I am at your UK site, your Germany site, or your NASA site, trying to download the GNU GCC files. "An error occurred; the FTP server has terminated the download session." Why do I keep getting these messages?

2. Why are these files so enormous? One file was 25MB in size! the entire set of folders was nearly 100MB in size!

3. On many of the sites I kept getting the message: "3Days, 23 hours left remaining" (for downloading). How can that possibly be right?

4. My main desire is to use UNIX software that will enable me to change file permissions, use the bash or Korn shell, write/compile/execute  code in Fortran, C, Pascal or Java, use emacs, and write compile/execute bash or Korn shell scripts. Could you please tell me EXACTLY and specifically which Cygwin downloads I will need to accomplish this end?

Sincerely,

Robert Betts
University of Massachusetts
Boston, MA