help-gnu-utils

gdb can't open large core

From: David Resnick
Subject: gdb can't open large core
Date: 26 Apr 2006 05:43:12 -0700

Hi,

I have a very large core file that I'd like to try and debug:
-rw-------+   1 cmsapp   cmsapp   2633666560 Apr 25 17:27 core.17598

Attempts to open it with gdb are giving this:
/var/cti/cores/cms/pfp/core.17598: File too large.

[root@LD-CMS4 pfp]# gdb --version
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.17rh)

Anyone have any wisdom to offer?  I tried the gdb manual/googling the
issue, and didn't have any luck as yet, though I'll keep poking.  Would
a later version of gdb be better at largefiles?

Thanks!
-David