help-gnu-utils

Consistency of patch output

From: Jason Heeris
Subject: Consistency of patch output
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:20:11 +0800

Hi,

I'm using patch from with a python script, and I was thinking of parsing
the output to extract information about what was patched and what
failed, so I can express it via my programs GUI.

Is there a better way of interacting with it? Or a library? Text output
is not strictly an API at all, let alone a stable one :P and I worry
that the output of patch won't remain the way it is now, especially
error messages. (I don't think that patch is translated by any major
distro, so that's probably ignorable.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason Heeris