help-gnucap

Re: Update gnucap gitbook

From: Vladimir Zhbanov
Subject: Re: Update gnucap gitbook
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 18:12:27 +0300

Hi Patrick,

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 12:22:16PM +0200, patrick wrote:
> Thank you Vladimir! That is helpful, interesting to learn on
> lepton-eda and to see the T flipflop example.
> How does lepton-eda support gnucap? I can add a link from the book
> back to https://github.com/lepton-eda/lepton-eda

Lepton is a fork of `geda-gaf' which was the central part of gEDA
at the time it started to be popular.  Now, many tools are
their-own-centric (PCB-centric, simulation-centric,
schematic-capture-centric, verilog-centric, etc.)  Mainly, Lepton
consists of a schematic capture program -- lepton-schematic
(previously, gschem), and a netlisting tool -- lepton-netlist
(previously, gnetlist).  It was forked by geda-gaf's main
developers back in 2016-2017 due to different visions wrt
development of tools amongst our devs and users (look at the
geda-user list archives of that time).

So, we're supporting gnucap the same way as geda-gaf does.

If you're interested in discussing something specific about
simulation in GUI using Lepton, please let me know, even
privately.  Some time ago (probably a few years ago) I tried to
automate the simulation workflow, and use all the tools involved
(gschem, gnucap and ngspice, gwave, gnuplot, etc) in GUI, and
wrote some extensions for this.

Today, I'm a bit aside (since I'm busy with many other things
`geda-gaf' and `lepton' always had, what is known as `development'
and `maintaining': writing code, porting to new libraries, support
of various distributions, fixing bugs and adding features,
etc)). Anyways, better integration with gnucap is always in my
plans :-)

Best regards

--
  Vladimir