help-gnunet

Re: Help with hashing and signatures

From: Alessio Vanni
Subject: Re: Help with hashing and signatures
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 00:08:26 +0200

"Schanzenbach, Martin" <mschanzenbach@posteo.de> writes:

> Before you look into such low level calls you should double and triple check
> our
> own code and data:

I worded it poorly, but I meant that the error happens when we reach the
actual verification, not before and that I wouldn't be able to tell if
there was something going on there or not.

> Is the data ("container") you are sending the same (output the hex) on
> both ends before hashing?

Yes.  In a normal communication this happens two times, and for two
times everything is the same.

> Is the hash of the data the same on both ends? (this one is easier to
> check as you can print the hash using GNUNET_h2s).

Unless GNUNET_h2s is lying, the hash is the same.  I did a simple
`printf("%s\n", GNUNET_h2s(&sd->hash))' to see what is being computed.

> Is the public key received the one to expect when deriving it from the
> private key? (again print the key).

Yes, it's the same. I even checked with gnunet-identity and the printed
key is the same as the one generated by the identity service.

> If you checked all of the above, and they ALL match, then we should consider
> looking at the crypto
> in more detail.

I'll wait for more instructions if I need to do something in particular.

Thanks,
A.V.