help-gnunet

Re: network from scratch

From: t3sserakt
Subject: Re: network from scratch
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:28:36 +0000

On 01.11.22 13:24, accounts-gnunet@holbrook.no wrote:
On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 12:18:21PM +0000, t3sserakt wrote:
On 01.11.22 12:35, accounts-gnunet@holbrook.no wrote:
On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 09:19:38AM +0000, t3sserakt wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:45:15 +0000
From:accounts-gnunet@holbrook.no
To: Martin Schanzenbach<mschanzenbach@posteo.de>
Cc:accounts-gnunet@holbrook.no,help-gnunet@gnu.org

Aha so adding -f to the gnunet-peer -s -g makes it output the hello.

And that URI is accepted by gnunet-peer -p

Now the peer is listed with gnunet-peer (-f)

Now peer A and B has both peer A and B in their peerinfo lists.

However, the peer A is still not being sent by the hostlist (after retstarting
the nodes), still only the Y924 is being sent.

Then I changed the URIs fromgnunet://hello-friend  tognunet://hello.
Now the peers get sent with the hostlist.
I do not get why - in F2F mode - you are doing that. What is the content of
friends.txt?

AFAIU, the friends.txt file is supposed to hold one public key per line
of nodes that one allows connections from.
Means peer A has the hello of peer B in its friends.txt and vice versa?!
Can you please elaborate more on your use case.

Simply to bootstrap a fully private network.

What made it problematic was the forced connection of the bundled peer.
That's why I tried F2F mode, but it turns out that comes with its own caveats in
terms of how the modules behave.

The solution was to, as Martin suggested, delete the entry in the
$PREFIX/share/gnunet/hellos/* dir. When starting two peers from scratch
they automatically find each other (at least when running on the same
interface, that's what i tried so far). I don't think the hellos dir is clearly
documented, or if it is, I missed it...
My expectation was, that theĀ  entries in the friends.txt should be
sufficient and no hostlist server is needed. I will check in the code.

Does that mean that friends.txt need to contain hello uris and NOT just
the public keys?

This is not really documented either, at least sufficiently for my
feeble mind.
My fault. You are right. Only the peer public keys.