help-gnunet

Re: GNUnet cadet

From: Mart M
Subject: Re: GNUnet cadet
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:10:32 +0100

Since we sent our latest mail we tried to fix some stuff and got some help from our teacher. We now both have opened the gnunet port on our pc’s/routers and checked if they work with:

telnet <ip adress> 2086

We both got the same message:

Trying <ip adress>...

Connected to <ip adress>

Escape character is '^]'.

Connection closed by foreign host.

So our ports are working now.

>>>With the solution offered ………

>>No, we didn't try that at first. We have now.

>>>Can you see each other peer …………..

>>We couldnt at first, but i think we didn't import each other's peerinfo. When we use the gnunet-cadet -P command on Rowans pc, he can see my peer id now. But if Mart runs the same command he cannot see Rowans peer id. On Marts pc there are still no tunnels. On Rowans pc it says tunnel: Y on my peer id. Are there other ways to import Rowans peer info to Marts pc? Because we think the problem is still with Marts pc.

>You can check if the import was successful by searching after Rowans system if you execute

>gnunet-peerinfo -i

>on Marts pc.

So if I check if the import is successful I get the following output:

<Peer id Rowan>

Expires: ma nov 28 01:38:40 2022         tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:38:40 2022         tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:38:40 2022         tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:38:40 2022         tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:38:40 2022         tcp. …

If Rowan uses the same command he gets:

<Peer id Mart>

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

Expires: ma nov 28 01:06:00 2022      tcp. …

So I guess they have imported correctly now. I think I forgot to start gnunet the first time we tried to import each others peer id. And that probably explains why Rowan could import my peer id and I couldn’t import his.

>>>Are the systems you ………..

>>The systems………..

>This is quite important to know!

We now know and got it working, see above.

>>>Did you have a look into ………

>>No we didn't, ……..

>There should be a file gnunet*.log somewhere, but you can set a log file by setting

>GNUNET_FORCE_LOGFILE

If I look in /var/log/gnunet/ the folder is empty. But I also have a gnunet.log file in /var/log/. If I use the GNUNET_FORCE_LOGFILE command it says “command not found”. If I open the gnunet.log file it loads over 5.000.000 lines of text but eventually the text editor shuts down/crashes.

On Rowans PC in the gnunet.log file it produces 4000 lines of text and then stops.

We hope you have enough information right now. We really appreciate your help.

-Mart and Rowan

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM t3sserakt <t3ss@posteo.de> wrote:

On 24.11.22 14:51, Rowan De jong wrote:

>On 21.11.22 17:04, Rowan De jong wrote:

>With the solution offered mean you you have given your (Rowans) peerinfo (which you got with gnunet-peerinfo -sg) to Mart, who imported it (with gnunet-peerinfo -p) and vice versa?

No, we didn't try that at first. We have now.

>Can you see each other peer in the list (given by gnunet-cadet -P), after importing the peerinfo of each other?

We couldnt at first, but i think we didn't import each other's peerinfo. When we use the gnunet-cadet -P command on Rowans pc, he can see my peer id now. But if Mart runs the same command he cannot see Rowans peer id. On Marts pc there are still no tunnels. On Rowans pc it says tunnel: Y on my peer id. Are there other ways to import Rowans peer info to Marts pc? Because we think the problem is still with Marts pc.

You can check if the import was successful by searching after Rowans system if you execute

gnunet-peerinfo -i

on Marts pc.

>Are the systems you are trying to connect in the same LAN or each at your home behind a NAT? If natted, did you open the GNUnet port (2086) in your router?

The systems are each at our own homes. So we think they are behind a NAT. We dont know if the GNUnet port is opened. Well have to check that later.

This is quite important to know!

>Did you have a look into the log file, if there are any error messages?

No we didn't, how do we do that?