help-gnustep

Re: NXConstantString

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NXConstantString
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:37:22 +0000

On Saturday, September 8, 2001, at 08:34 AM, Raphael Sebbe wrote:

Hi,

I've just configured a new Mandrake 8.0 Intel system.

I got the latest released GNUStep packages (base 1.0.2, gui 0.7.0...), compiled and installed them. But each time I compile an application (ie example/Calculator or other), I get an
error:
NXConstantString does not recognize characterAtIndex:

Is this a known problem, is there a workaround or did I do something wrong ?

Perhaps your system has a version of gcc with a shared libobjc ... causing the version of NXConstantString supplied by the library in the compiler to be used in preference to the GNUstep one.

Solutions -

You could locate that library and remove the NXConstantString implementation from it.

You could install the GNUstep libobjc and reconfigure/rebuild to use it.

You could install gcc-3.0 or later, and reconfigure/rebuild GNUstep to work with that.