help-gnustep

Using the libobjc patch

From: Graham Lee
Subject: Using the libobjc patch
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:12:25 +0000

Hi all,

I use a Solaris 2.7 system (SPARC architecture), and as it's got gcc 2.95.2 I need to apply the gnustep-objc patch in order to compile Objective-C programs. I'm not root so I'm not allowed to just upgrade gcc :-(, but root has kindly offered that if I can build the GNUstep patch and demonstrate that it works, he'll apply it system-wide.

So far I've built gnustep-make 1.5.0, sourced ~/GNUstep/[...]/GNUstep.sh, built gnustep-objc and installed it into my own ~/GNUstep hierarchy. But now I need to be able to build and link an objc program using the new library, to prove its usefulness. This is where I'm stuck.

I included the directory in which the new patch has been installed with the gcc switch -L[...]/sparc/solaris2.7 but ld still links against the libobjc.a in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which fails. I've noticed that the original libobjc is a static object and the new libobjc.so* are shared objects; does this change how I should be linking them?

Thanks for your help,

Graham.
--
Graham Lee, Wadham College, OX1 3PN