help-gnustep

Re: No font when launching a test app

From: Andreas Voegele
Subject: Re: No font when launching a test app
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:37:31 +0200

Fred Kiefer writes:

> Andreas Voegele wrote:
>> Nicolas Girard writes:
>>
>>> [...] when launching it, and after waiting for the font cache to
>>> be built, i ended up with a "blank" application, i.e. a window
>>> containing nothing but a grey button ; no text even in the button
>>> itself.
>> [...] Is the X11 backend broken?
>
> No, the x11 backend isnt broken in CVS, and wasn't, as far as I
> know, in the days before. Your problme must be specific to your
> setup.

> What GNUstep releases are you using?

1.7.1 and 0.8.7

> What is your operating environment?

GNU/Linux with glibc 2.3.1 and gcc 3.2.3.

> Which version of XFree86 are you using?

XFree 4.3.0.1 with freetype 2.1.4

> Could you switch over to use anti-aliased fonts for the x11 backend?

Is this the right command?

defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSFontAntiAlias YES

> What ae the results from other GNUstep applications?

I tried ProjectCenter and ImageViewer.  I can run both applications
but there are no fonts.

> What output did the config script for the backend produce?

checking for current libwraster support... checking for RFillImage in
-lwraster... yes
checking wraster.h usability... yes
checking wraster.h presence... yes
checking for wraster.h... yes
yes
checking for X... libraries , headers
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking DPS/dpsclient.h usability... yes
checking DPS/dpsclient.h presence... yes
checking for DPS/dpsclient.h... yes
checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h usability... yes
checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h presence... yes
checking for DPS/dpsNXargs.h... yes
checking for XftFontOpen in -lXft... yes
checking X11/Xft/Xft.h usability... yes
checking X11/Xft/Xft.h presence... yes
checking for X11/Xft/Xft.h... yes
checking for XftDrawStringUtf8 in -lXft... yes
checking for FcPatternCreate in -lfontconfig... yes
checking fontconfig/fontconfig.h usability... yes
checking fontconfig/fontconfig.h presence... yes
checking for fontconfig/fontconfig.h... yes
checking for glXMakeContextCurrent in -lGL... yes
checking GL/glx.h usability... yes
checking GL/glx.h presence... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GLX_RGBA_TYPE... yes
checking for usleep... yes
checking for X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
checking for main in -lgdi32... no
checking for main in -lfreetype... yes
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
configure: line 1: libart2-config: command not found
configure: line 1: libart2-config: command not found
checking for main in -lart_lgpl_2... no
checking Backend Server... x11
checking Backend Graphics... xlib
checking Backend name... back

Actually, I only wanted to know if there is a known problem :) I'll
try to debug this problem but I won't be able to do this before next
week.

Andreas