help-gnustep

Re: automatic subviews layout?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: automatic subviews layout?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:38:05 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
> What is the recommended way to determine the optimal size of the subviews
> of a window, and of the window containing the subviews, in a GNUstep GUI?
> For the Java aware: What is the equivalent of java.awt.LayoutManager?
>
> I'm asking because I'm writing a sample hello-world that demonstrates
> the internationalization features of GNU gettext in the context of GNUstep,
> and code like the one below with absolute positioning of labels doesn't
> work if the translation of a string is larger/longer than the English
> original: The size of the label has to adapt, and the size of the window
> too.

I recommend using Renaissance.

You can also use GSHBox/GSVBox/GSTable as included in gnustep-gui, but
while you get the functionality, it's cumbersome to use - you have to
build all the UI in code.

Renaissance brings it a further step forward, where you specify the UI you
want to build using a simple xml format, and everything - including i18n -
is done automatically for you.

If you want to write samples / tutorials, please do - we never have enough
:-)