help-gnustep

Re: Installation Woes Continued

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Installation Woes Continued
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:38:18 +0100 (BST)

>  Linking library libgnustep-gui ...
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/win_e/Extract/gnustep-gui-0.9.3/Source'
> Making all in Images...
> make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/win_e/Extract/gnustep-gui-0.9.3/Images'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/win_e/Extract/gnustep-gui-0.9.3/Images'
> Making all in Model...
> make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/win_e/Extract/gnustep-gui-0.9.3/Model'
> Making all for bundle libgmodel...
> cp: omitting directory `./shared_obj'
> make[2]: *** [shared_obj] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [libgmodel.all.bundle.variables] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/win_e/Extract/gnustep-gui-0.9.3/Model'
> make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

That sounds bad enough to me -- it looks like a building error, usually a
confusing thing which is never supposed to happen.

Things you can try --

go in gnustep-gui again, and type 'make distclean', then type 'make'
again.

'make distclean' cleans up all your source code so that it is exactly as
it was at the beginning.  That means if you have some unfinished/messy
compilation business which is confusing the new compilation, that clears
it up and you can try again.  hopefully that might fix it.

if that still doesn't work, well then we need more information to help you
-- to get more information, type 'make messages=yes' instead of 'make'.
The messages=yes flag will tell the build system to generate a lot of
information about what it's doing, which you can use to figure out what's
wrong, or at least you can copy&paste all that stuff to us on the
help-gnustep@gnu.org to help us understand what is going wrong.

> I suspect my problem is the Foreign Function Interfaces.  If that is the
> case how do I install them?

It's definitely not FFI.  I think you've got ffcall installed and that
seems to be detected and used.

Anyway if you have an ffi/ffcall problem, gnustep-base will tell you when
you configure/compile it.  If you happily get pass that stage (and if
running, eg, defaults works) you can be quite safely sure that the
ffi/ffcall thing is done.

>  The reason I think this is [shared_obj] appears to be mentioned a bit &
> I presume [...]

Ah - it might be confusing at first so let me explain - shared_obj is a
directory used during the build processs.  It's where the results of
compilation (which are shared objects, hence the name) are put.

> Of course, I have no real idea.  Maybe I'm just not holding my tongue in
> the corner of my mouth correctly!! :-)

It is not supposed to be any difficult, hopefully you're almost there.