help-gnustep

NSObject errors compiling Objective-C programs

From: Mehul N. Sanghvi
Subject: NSObject errors compiling Objective-C programs
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:41:02 -0400

OK, so I've got gnustep-base and gnustep-make installed.  I'm trying to
follow the code as given on the "Objective-C for Beginners" website which is refrenced from the gnustep.org website.

I am getting the following error when I try to compile the simple
fractions example:

prompt% make
Making all for objc_program fraction_driver...
 Compiling file fraction_driver.m ...
 Compiling file fraction.m ...
 Linking objc_program fraction_driver ...
./shared_obj/fraction.o(.data.rel+0xf4): undefined reference to `__objc_class_name_NSObject'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [shared_obj/fraction_driver] Error 1
make: *** [fraction_driver.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2

What am I doing wrong ?  I'm just trying to compile a simple
Objective-C program, using the GNUstep make system.

cheers,

     mehul

---- begin header file ----
#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface Fraction: NSObject
{
  int numerator;
  int denominator;
}

/* rest of code snipped */
---- end header file ----

==== GNUmakefile ====
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

# Space seperated list of executables to be built
OBJC_PROGRAM_NAME = fraction_driver

fraction_driver_OBJC_FILES = fraction_driver.m fraction.m

include GNUmakefile.preamble
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/objc.make
==== GNUmakefile ends ====

~~~~ GNUmakefile.preamble ~~~~~
ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS += -Wall -Wno-import #-fnext-runtime
~~~~ GNUmakefile.preamble ~~~~~

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com