help-gnustep

Re: .app intergration in GWorkspace

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: .app intergration in GWorkspace
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:48:41 +0000

On 2005-10-12 10:49:12 +0000 Mathew McBride <gmane.20.mcbridematt@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Is it just me or are App Wrappers horribly broken in GWorkspace?

I've tried taking Acrobat.app from the wrappers.tar.gz archive and dumping it into /usr/GNUStep/Local/Applications (no go) and /usr/GNUStep/System/Applications (also no go)

I installed Vindaloo (nice PDF reader by the way). It installed its package into Local/Applications with no luck, PDF files still displayed as unknown and can't be opened in GWorkspace.

This has driven me insane for a long time now (across distributions/cvs versions/stable releases/whatever). Whats going wrong?

Two things ...

1. You need to run make_services after installing new apps, for them to be picked up (maybe you need to restart GWorkspace too ... I'm not sure).

2. The wrappers are highly system specific ... for them to work you must have the programs they use installed in the correct place, or you must hack the scripts within them to have the correct paths to the binaries. For instance, the 'vi.app' wrapper doesn't work on my system, because it attempts to run vi in an xterm, and I don't have xterm installed on my system.